Saturday, November 9, 2013

Where Does The Time Go

When I was a kid time seemed to go so slow.  I remember that I couldn't wait to turn sixteen so I could drive.  I couldn't wait to turn eighteen so I could vote.  I couldn't wait to turn twenty-one so I could purchase alcohol and go to bars (even though I didn't drink).  So fast forward, here I am at 54 wondering where exactly did the time go?

I noticed before Halloween this year there were Christmas decorations out and holiday commercials on television.  It seems to me that the time between being inundated by the media in relation to holidays grows shorter and shorter.  Here we are are in the second week of November with Thanksgiving right around the corner and Christmas nipping at our heels.  This year the holidays have snuck up on me. 

Our kids all have their own lives and commitments and places they have to go on holidays.  As our families are blended we have always been the parents who don't pressure our kids to be with us on the actual date of the holiday.  It's not about the date of holiday.  For me it has always been about family and being able to be together.  So, celebrating Thanksgiving a few days after the fact has never been an issue.  

For many years we had Thanksgiving dinner with my in-laws.  As the years went by and they grew older Terry and I hosted Thanksgiving dinner.  After my father-in-law passed away Thanksgiving wasn't the same anymore.  The family splintered and now each one does their own thing.  I miss being together.  I don't care about the date on the calendar.  I care about family. 

So as the hustle and bustle settles over us heading towards the holidays I will remind myself to take a deep breath and enjoy being with my husband and family and thankful for the time we have together. 

It's funny how our priorities change as we get older.  Every minute I have with my children and grandchildren I want time to stand still.  I make a conscious effort to not sweat the small stuff and making the most of  my time.  I have learned that time is a fleeting thing.

2 comments:

  1. I agree time does past way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for replying... You make the best BFF ever!

      Delete