Monday, November 11, 2013

Busy Weekends...

We had a very busy weekend.  Our son Rick that lives in Canada was here for a church convention and his mother planned a surprise 40th birthday party for him at his favorite Mexican restaurant.  We had such a good time getting to visit with Rick, Vonnie, Connor and Carson, and our grandson Trent and Lauren were there and Seth and his girlfriend Savannah were there.  I had never met Savannah.  She is such a doll.  We had the opportunity to visit with our family and friends all together in one place.  

As I sat there looking around the room I was reminded how important family time is.  Today Teddy and Cassidy were down from Sacramento and they are staying the night.  Kenny and Lisa, Grant and Little B were here so when we are lucky enough to get us all together I like to cook something special. I made chicken and dumplings.  When I make chicken and dumplings it is quite the ordeal because when I make them the boys, Kenny, Teddy and Terry like to eat until they can't eat anymore.  So I make my chicken stock with chicken, celery, carrots and onions.  I simmer it for a good long time and when I am ready to make the dumplings I have to pour the stock into my big electric roasting pan because I have to make so many dumpling that's the only way they will all fit.  I quadruple my recipe and it's just the right amount to fill the surface of the stock.  Then 15 minutes later we have chicken and dumplings.

The most favorite part of a dinner like this is seeing my kids, daughter-in-laws and grand kids all sitting around the table talking, being silly and enjoying each other.  I can just sit back and drink it in.  Having them all together just makes me feel so good.  Laughing, joking, talking about what's going on in their lives.  No better feeling for me.  I'm glad Teddy and Kenny have continued the tradition of having meals at the dinner table several nights a week with their families.  It's what kept of close and grounded when they were growing up.  It's still important to me that Terry and I eat dinner at the table.  It's not every night like it was when the kids were young but we do put forth the effort to disconnect everything in order to connect over dinner a few nights a week.  

Sunday dinner is a tradition that I look forward to each and every Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment